Friday, March 15, 2013

Hake eggs!

Today's dinner consisted of some relatively adventurous food - specifically Hake egg sacs which are in season now.  I'd had them prepared at a friend's apartment, and decided I needed to try making them for myself.  They're pretty gross to begin with!  They look like some sort of combination of lungs and testicles.  After they're poached for about five minutes they end up looking like this:


Gross!

I covered them up and let them chill in the fridge.  For dinner I sliced them up and topped them with diced red pepper and onions; then salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.  Now they look a lot more appetizing, and they really are very delicious.


Bon profit!

2 comments:

  1. So are they not already quite salty on their own, like other fish eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they're not, actually! I was surprised by that when I tried them the first time. They are quite mild, somewhat creamy, and have only a hint of seafood flavor.

      Delete